Monday, July 27, 2015

Korean Sejak

Hello again fellow tea drinkers. 

Yesterday, I went to the mall with a friend of mine (again) and ended up buying some more tea (again). This time, the tea is called Korean Sejak. Now, I did a little digging around for some information about this tea and I found out that it is one of three Korean teas (I didn't even know Korea produced teas - more on this in a minute). The teas are in order of grades. Ujeon/Woojeon is the highest grade, Sejak/Saejak is the second highest grade while Joongjak/Jungjak is third. And keeping this in mind, (and the fact that I didn't know Korea produced teas), I found out that Korean tea is actually pretty rare (even in Korea). I guess it's not as popular as Japanese and Chinese teas in their respective countries. It also explains why the tea is pretty expensive. Though, I'm always pretty strict with spending money on teas I ended up spending 5 dollars for a third a cup of tea. Which is pretty damn expensive. (Nowhere near as expensive as Matcha, but still expensive). 

So! On with describing the tea, yes?

what remains of the liquor
The tea leaves are quite ordinary, they look very similar to Sencha in colour (a dark green) but are otherwise long, thin and curled. As mentioned, they are dark green and have a rich green-tea and grass-like smell. It was rich but it wasn't very strong (does that make sense?). 
unfurled tea leaves
When steeped, the liquor produced is a lovely pale citrine yellow. If you over steep it, it almost becomes jade green in colour. The unfurled leaves are a relatively light green (the remnants (left) in the teapot give off a strong seaweed smell. While steeping, the tea itself gives off a relatively light seaweed-y aroma. It's not unbearable. Actually, I find it quite pleasant and awareness-inducing. 
The taste of the tea itself is what really sells the tea (in my opinion). The taste is relatively similar to the Genmaicha, but since the Sejak doesn't have any toasted rice, it's quite different. The Sejak's taste is light and refreshing, a smooth drink for any cold day (or summer day, I suppose). It doesn't leave much to be remembered by which is why I believe it to be a drink that anyone could drink more than one or two cups of. 

Overall, I love this tea! It's certainly one that I'll be keeping a good stock of. I recommend this for those of you who enjoy the taste of Sencha or if you need a refreshing drink on summer days. (This tea tastes good cold, as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment